Welcome to the official website for Cass County, Nebraska
  Quick Links  
  About Office  
  Frequently Asked Questions  
  Facts & Figures  
  Contact Information  
  Courthouse Complex  
  Cass County Map  
  Online Services  
Home Departments About Cass County Site Map
Contact Us
County Veterans' Service Officer

Mission Statement - The County Veterans' Service Office was created by state statute to assist veterans and their dependents in times of need, or to file for all County, State or Federal benefits earned by virtue of the military veteran's service to a grateful Nation and the State of Nebraska. The Veterans' Service Officer serves under the direction of the Veterans' Service Committee appointed by the Board of Commissioners. Veterans' Service is accomplished by:

  • Being sensitive and helpful to veterans/dependents in their time of need.
  • Providing assistance and counseling to veterans and their families.
  • Initiating and completing claims to be submitted to the VA Regional Office, Nebraska Department of Veterans' Affairs, or other appropriate agencies with accuracy and professionalism.
  • Maintaining the highest level of training and education to best serve veterans.
  • Serving as a trusted and respected partner in collaboration with other agencies when assisting veterans.



How do I apply to the Nebraska Veterans’ Registry and get  the VETERAN indicator on my Nebraska State Drivers License or ID card?

Veterans with honorable service on active duty, other than for training are eligible for the veterans indicator.
There are numerous ways for a veteran to apply to the Nebraska Veterans’ Registry:  

1. Complete the online registration with DD 214 upload at:

2. Email application and DD 214 to:

3. Mail application and DD 214 to:
   301 Centennial Mall S, 6th FL
    PO Box 95083
    Lincoln, NE 68509-5083

4. Visit a CVSO for assistance.

5. Veterans who cannot locate their DD-214s can request a replacement from the National   Archives at the following website. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Is it too late to file a VA service-connected disability claim?
Veterans, it's never too late to file a VA service-connected disability claim no matter how many years have passed since your military service.  Please call our office to set up an appointment.
Prior to submitting your claim you will need to provide the following:
-Original Discharge documents (member copy 4 showing character of service)
-Dependent information (full names, social security numbers, birth date and location)
-Proof of Marriage if applicable
-Birth certificates for dependents under age 23 still enrolled in education (high school or college)
-Contact information for doctors seen outside the military or VA for care related to condition you are claiming
-Direct Deposit information (Bank account number and routing number)
-Any additional information you feel relevant

How will the VA Backlog affect my claim?
In the state of Nebraska we are fortunate to have a VA Regional Office who maintains a harmonious working relationship with our County Veterans Service Officers and are able to assist the veterans on a more personal level. That being said, there are still legal requirements when processing a claim. Our role is to assist you in providing all documentation and evidence as complete as possible to the VA so that a claim can be processed in a timely manner with the best outcome possible. In certain instances there are matters which require additional time to develop the claim prior to completion. Examples include; early era veterans documents related to the fire in St. Louis which destroyed thousands of veterans service information, medical opinion from VA doctor, or clarification of a condition. In any case, continue to work with our office as the claims process continues.

How can I find out the status of my claim?

The VA has created a website called E-Benefits which you can create a profile and follow the path of your claim. In addition to status information you can research a variety of topics including veterans preference letters, records, print forms and receive letters showing your entitlements.  Follow this link to sign up today.   https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal

The Cass County Veterans' Service Office assists with, but is not limited to the following County, State and Federal Benefits:

County Veterans' Benefits.

  • County Veterans' Aid Fund (CVA). To meet immediate emergency financial needs.
  • Flag Holders. For placement on the grave of every veteran buried in Cass County.

State Veterans' Benefits.

  • Nebraska Veterans' Aid Fund (NVA). For unforeseen emergency financial need.
  • Waiver of Tuition. For state college/university cost to qualified spouses or children.
  • Discharges. Replacement of lost military service records (DD-214).
  • Grave Registration. Report of grave location for veterans buried in the State.
  • Veterans' Home System. Complete application for residency in a Veterans' Home.

Federal Veterans' Benefits.

  • Service Connected Disability Compensation.
  • Non-Service Connected Pensions. Veterans or Widow(er)s.
  • Education and Vocational Rehabilitation. Including GI Bill and disability retraining.
  • Life Insurance. VGLI/NSLI or Disability.
  • Burial Benefits. Grave marker application and burial allowance assistance.
  • VA Home Loan Programs. Residential and improvement for handicap improvement.
  • Health Care. VA Medical Center inpatient and outpatient services.
  • Long Term Nursing Home Care. For veterans rated at 70% or higher.
  • Military Records. Discharge upgrades and location or service and medical records.



The Cass County Veterans' Service Office serves about 3,000 veteran's and their families. Cass County has the second highest percentage of veterans receiving compensation for service connected disabilities of the states 93 counties.


All inquires can be addressed to this office at:
346 Main Street., Rm. 102 Phone 402-296-9368
Plattsmouth NE 68048 Fax 402-296-9369

Email - veterans@cassne.org

Hours are 8 am to 5 PM Monday through Friday.

The Veterans' Service Office is located on the lower floor of the Cass County Courthouse building in room 102, the corner of 4th and Main Streets, Plattsmouth, NE.


Questions regarding this website should be sent to webmaster@cassne.org
Copyright© 2001 Cass County, Nebraska, All Rights Reseved